The B.Lo's Blog

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Hit the links

After a long enough wait since my last round of golf (four months ago) I was finally able to hit the links. It was pretty fun. I went down to Mission Bay Golf Course, an executive length 9-hole golf course, and was able to walk onto the first tee within fifteen minutes of my arrival. It was nice to be out on the course again after a few months of not playing. I ended up paired with a guy who had visited Hong Kong during SARS, his nephew, and a Canadian living and working here in San Diego. I got a real kick out of reminiscing about Hong Kong and places like Stanley, the exciting ride in between Stanley and Central on the double decker bus, and all the great food you can get in HK. Had a good conversation with the Canadian guy about different perspectives Americans and Canadians have of the world. It was really good meeting someone from Canada. I feel like I'm still in HK what with meeting Canadians. I'd never met so many Canadians before I had moved to HK and I never thought that I'd have to move abroad to meet our neighbors to the north.

Golf definitely doesn't give me that same feeling of escape like it used before I moved to HK. It's just a game now that I can enjoy and not be obsessed over anymore. I'll still continue to play it but it won't consume me like it used to. But I am looking forward to heading back up north any playing at Palo Alto Municipal Golf Course, the course that I always played while living at home.

Elevator Observations
I think it's only been in Hong Kong that the "Door Close" button in elevators (lifts) works but here in the U.S. they must be decoration because when I start hitting them the door doesn't move at all. Seriously, I think all U.S. elevators are like that. It's mildy irritating. I think the most worn out door close button I've ever seen in my life is the YMCA TST door close lift button. I think the paint around all of those buttons in all of those lifts have been worn clean off. It's impressive. I think it's a funny indicator of the busyness of Hong Kong life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home