The B.Lo's Blog

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Bus ride from San Jose to LA

I heard about a new bus company in California called megabus.com in a LA Times travel article a few months ago. Fares range from $0.50 to about $35 for a one way trip. Since reading that article, I've been wanting to check it out.

I rode megabus.com for the first time yesterday, Feb. 6, 2008 from San Jose to Los Angeles. Here's a quick review of my trip.

Pros
1. I was quite pleased with the overall journey. It was fast and comfortable, arriving departing from San Jose Diridon Station and arriving at LA Union Station after 5.5 hrs on the road. I have never covered the trip in such a short amount of time and in such a comfortable fashion.
2. At the rest stop, the driver informed us how much time we had at the rest stop and when we had to be back on the bus.
3. The driver did a great job driving.
4. The bus had comfortable seats and pull down shades for the windows.
5. It was only $33.50 for the one way fare. Some people on the bus paid only $0.50! A Greyhound fare would have cost between $45 and $60 for the same trip.
6. The availability of the toilet.
7. The modern bus.

Cons
1. No sink in the toilet (apparently, this is normal).
2. The driver did not communicate much with the passengers. I was expecting: a short greeting once we boarded, his name, the length of time and distance to be covered on the road, the route, when we would stop, and a thank you for traveling with them at the end of the journey. But hey, the driver did his primary job and got us to LA quickly.
3. It was slightly but not unbearably cold in the bus.

Overall, I enjoyed the ride. It was the first time I had ever ridden a bus from northern to southern California and I'm pleased to say it was a good first time doing so with megabus.com. In addition, they go to other places like San Diego, San Francisco and Las Vegas. I'll definitely consider riding with them again and I recommend trying them out if taking a bus works out for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home