The B.Lo's Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

30th Birthday Weekend, Part 1: Color Me Mine

We celebrated my 30th birthday this past weekend with a host of activities. On Friday night, Allison and I decided we would spend Saturday at Color Me Mine. It's an art studio where you can decorate your housewares like bowls, dishes, mugs, etc. I noticed this studio one evening while we were out. I don't think I'm the most creative of people but this place just seemed kinda cool and fun to try.

Allison, my bro's family, my dad, and I went to the studio and only me, Allison, Jean, and my two nieces decided to do it. My dad wasn't interested and made himself at home in his usual hang out: Starbucks. Garrett was a little intrigued in the idea of making something, but got caught up with daddy duty as his littlest one needed a nap and required the use of the daddy pillow, Garrett. Allison and I chose to paint rice bowls and Jean did a plate. It took me forever to pick out a color scheme, but I eventually settled on kiwi and honeycomb.

After I had my color scheme, I went to work. I basically shut myself off to the world and painted. After I finished painting the bowl, I took a chance and tried to draw a picture of bamboo on the inside and outside of the bowl. The outside turned out to resemble a bundle of hay and the inside one looked like a lane divider. I tried to salvage the effort by dotting the hay and divider to make it look like there were leaves on them, but I wasn't quite able to capture the right look. Oh well, I tried and enjoyed doing it. We get the fired and finished wares back on Thursday.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home