The B.Lo's Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Sailing, Sailing...

Believe it or not, this was me skippering a 22 Foot Capri sailboat down in San Diego. I was in SD for the weekend visiting my family because my dad was able to fly down to hang out with all of us before gallivanting off to Hong Kong again next week.

We had an awesome brunch that morning at the Broken Yolk Cafe in Pacific Beach. I had the special, which was pretty good. But my sister had this totally awesome California Breakfast Burrito. It was filled with eggs, avocado, bacon, and potatoes. It was soooo good. After brunch I suggested we go sailing that afternoon since I had just passed my test last week, was rar'n to put my skills to the test and I really wanted to take my family out on the water with me at the helm!

We went to Seaforth Boat Rental down at Mission Bay to check out what they had and what I was capable of sailing. So I figured we'd just check out a small boat and take turns riding in it. Turned out the place didn't have any 14 Foot Capris and only a 22 Foot Capri would be big enough to hold all of us at one time. (At this point I started getting a little nervous because all I'd ever sailed before was a 14 Foot Capri.) I told the sales rep about my sailboat experience being limited so he suggested that I go out with one of the instructors and my siblings (my to-be-crew) to see how it'd go. If I didn't feel good with the boat then I could just call it a day right there. But if all went well then we'd come back in, pick up the family and head back out. I was still really nervous at this point but I agreed to try it out.

We went out for about 15 minutes and everything felt good so we decide to pull back into the dock and pick up the family. The instructor disembarked and the family hopped aboard and we were off! We ended up sailing for another hour in Mission Bay, basically just doing laps around the same buoy. A little repetitive but hey, for my first time out, I think that was about all that I could handle. I mean, I was out skippering for the first time on my own, on a boat 8 feet longer than anything I'd ever sailed before and I had my family plus the next generation of Los on board. Should anything have gone wrong, I could have wiped out my family in one afternoon! Very bad stuff! But, thank the Lord, everything went really well and we had a great time! I'm really happy I was able to take my family out for my first sail.

4 Comments:

  • WOW

    Thats impressive!! A new talent? I wonder if you'd be free in June to tour the Interns up to Angel Island by boat??

    We could make it a very big bonding experience. Let me know!! Happy Turkey day tomarrow!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 23, 11:39:00 AM PST  

  • Well done Skipper. I'm quite impressed that you upgraded with your family. I can't wait for our wine and cheese trips.

    By Blogger Michael, at Mon Nov 28, 12:01:00 AM PST  

  • Hi Brian, I thinks it is GREAT that you keep trying new and exciting things! Sounds like you are doing well at Fuller and that you know who you are and where your focus is. Good for you. Can't wait to see you at Christmas! Your cuz, Elaine

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Dec 06, 09:39:00 PM PST  

  • SAILING?!?!? Nice...you're out on the water. That is one step farther than me. -Cindy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Dec 08, 10:04:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment



<< Home